Saturday, March 28, 2009

News or Opinion...?

Dear Class,

Please review this article found in last weeks Cord before you read this blog.

I have met dozens of Communication Studies students, including myself who have been appalled by this piece featured in the Cord. I'm going to offer my highly opinionated critique of this highly opinionated "news article". I'm not normally this openly critical about other peoples opinions but this article struck the wrong cord (pardon the pun), in me.

Firstly, this article is not "news" as it is referred to, it is a subjective account of a highly cynical student who apparently has had an isolated, negative experience with the program she has chosen.

Secondly, if the writer wants her "more aloof'" peers to act more critically in class, perhaps she should critically addresses her distaste with the department and offer some concrete solutions to the problem rather than placing the blame on part-time professors and the fact that classes are only 12 weeks in duration. (Although I like her idea of adopting full time, in-depth, year long classes).

Thirdly, what kind of "news article" features hasty, sweeping generalizations such as this piece. One prime generalization is that categorizes Communication studies students as "many glazed-over faces [that] mindlessly attend lectures and do not engage in class". We (communication students) apparently are "dedicated to continuing the Laurier reputation of [the]party-goer extraordinaire". Last time i checked we also contributed to Laurier's reputation of having one of the highest educational experience ratings in Canada according to Macleans magazine, 5th overall in fact. What's wrong with working hard and playing hard...?

I'm not undermining her opinion or saying that she hasn't experienced what she has written, but the fact that she has generalized hard-working, participating students that DO care about their education and subject matter with the aloof and uncritical members of our school (and they do exist), doesn't sit well with me. I feel that there needs to be a critical rebuttle to these highly generalized claims because it is a far too shallow depiction of what goes on in the depatrment (for the most part), in my opinion.

I do agree with her that some reform could be used to improve the quality of education within the department however, what department couldn't...

Maybe the reason I'm so critical is because this is one of the best classes I've been enrolled in, in terms of participation, critical thinking and engaging subject matter; I couldn't allow this course, Dr. Boutros and the student in our class be generalized in this manner.

I invite the author of this article to attend one of our seminars and see the potential and critical thinking our department is capable of....

4 comments:

  1. I felt the exact same way about the article. I feel that communication courses and a communications degree are just as important as any other degree. Dr. Boutros's class is a perfect example, as its one of the only courses in the school that touches on social media, which is becoming a major player in how we interact and conduct ourselves. As we shift more and more towards becoming cyborgs - relying on technology more and more - understanding our place within the space of citizen and social media becomes ever more important. One of the major theorists with the most impact on thought of the 20th century, Marshall McLuhan, was a communication theorist. Someone should point out that, without us, we would be lost among media, always wondering around and never understanding our position.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree
    I was completely shocked to read that article, and it's generalizations were indeed extremely biased. Of course I can think of classes I have had that have resembled her descriptions, but what major doesn't have those? Are you going to tell me that biology or statistics classes have completely tuned in individuals? If anything, Communications is a major that allows and encourages us to observe, criticize and discuss the world around us. It's what the freaking major is all about. Is she trying to say that classroom discussions about anatomy or mathematical equations are much more in depth and thought provoking? For god's sakes the ENTIRE MAJOR revolves around delving into the issues we study, and interacting with the world around us to understand it better. The classroom condition she is referring to does exist, but it exists EVERYWHERE and ANYWHERE. End of story.
    I have suffered rude and assinine comments about comm majors for the entire time I have been at the school, from people in OTHER MAJORS. Never have I seen a comm student, who for the love of god should have long ago learned how to properly structure and COMMUNICATE a message to the public, make such cynical comments.
    "Bird major" my ass. Maybe if she piped up in class like she does on paper her classes would be much more invigorating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally disagree with all of you and I think she's totally correct...NOT. I just didn't want to be too obvious off the bat. Communication students possess many abilities that students from other majors don't, such as the ability to write an invigorating 15 page essay or a successful newspaper article...unlike this airhead who wrote this disrespectful article. Communication studies is equally important as other majors at Laurier and to classify it as a "Bird Major" is unacceptable and absurd. Personally, I began laurier in the highly touted Business program and many people drop out and join communications because their grades are poor. I had good enough grades after first year to stay in the oh-so-touted business program but I switched to communications because I felt like there were more people like me in the program. Communication students are way cooler than Business students...word.

    ReplyDelete